Spotlight: Lauren Cronan

Lauren Cronan is a Greenhouse Studios SFA Graduate Research Assistant.

My name is Lauren Cronan and I am a first-year graduate student at the University of Connecticut. I’m pursuing a Master of Fine Arts in Digital Media and Design with a focus on digital culture, learning & advocacy. Before relocating to Hartford, I contributed service, design, programming and instruction in academic and public libraries in Richmond, Virginia. I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography & Filmmaking from Virginia Commonwealth University (VCUarts).

I’m currently studying web design, but I’d like to try a little bit of everything in the Digital Media & Design department including game design, UI/UX and animation. I also hope to take a class or internship at a letterpress studio. My past film and videography projects include documentary, experimental, animations, educational, promotional and narrative shorts. I also have experience with film and digital photography.

I recently joined the Greenhouse Studios team as a Graduate Research Assistant. I’m currently assisting with two projects: Sourcery, a document delivery app that connects researchers and archives, and GlamGear, which is an open-source scanning workflow that supports underserved organizations in the rural and urban South. I’m thrilled to be helping with Sourcery and GlamGear, where I’m learning about archives while helping democratize research and digitization. I intend to collaborate on more projects with libraries, museums, and other non-profits.

Outside of UConn, I serve as the Mentorship Chair for the Connecticut board of the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA). I’m building a virtual mentoring program as well as starting a student chapter of AIGA at UConn’s Storrs campus. I’m also a member of the Southern Arts and Culture Coalition which is a grassroots organization organizing emergency funding and ongoing support for southern community centers of power.

I like to occasionally craft, bake and roller skate, and I’d like to snowboard this winter. I’m looking forward to exploring Connecticut’s trails, historical places, museums and libraries as well as supporting its creative and queer communities.